You need to look out for yourself because nobody else will. Your feelings and needs matter! If you are waiting for your husband (or wife) to notice your needs, you might be waiting for ever.
The only way for your spouse to be aware for your needs is for you to express them. And you should explain exactly what it is you want him/her to do for you. Because one thing is for sure, they won’t be able to read your mind. And remember, in this life, you don’t get what you don’t ask for.
Express your feelings in a clear way, using “I feel statements.” Allow yourself to feel your feelings. After all, you deserve to feel happy. But do not expect your husband or wife to make you happy. It is not their job. We are all responsible for our own happiness.
And your thoughts and opinions certainly are important!
If you are not being respected in your relationship, try this. First of all respect yourself and be respectful. When you feel disrespected, say something politely and calmly about needing to feel respected as an equal. No argument, just a simple statement of your need.
Look out for yourself by taking action
It is nobody else’s job to look after you.
- So if you have low self esteem, say some affirmations to yourself. Keep them simple and believable.
- If your confidence is low, take on some easy challenges that will make you have a sense of achievement.
- Got no joy? Put on the music and dance for a few minutes. You will be amazed at the difference it makes.
- When you are not feeling well, go to a medical professional or take treatment.
- If you are lonely, reach out to some friends. They will most likely be grateful for the company.
- To help you with depression, get some counseling.
- If you need help with your marriage, I would strongly recommend that you see a relationship coach.
These are just some of the ways you can take responsibility of your own well being and happiness.
To get free tips on improving your relationship with yourself and your marriage follow me on Instagram.
You can also catch up with me on YouTube.